Hey Huron fam!
Back from the reading break and ready to dive on in to those midterms? I know that I sure am!
Midterm season can be stressful. Managing a heavy academic workload, coupled with a large number of extracurriculars can limit the amount of you-time that YOU deserve! That’s why it’s important to manage your time wisely, and clear the mind.
Here are 5 tips and tricks for keeping with it:
1. Plan your ’me-time’ out in advanced. Seriously! It may seem a tad strange, but it’s a real mental- productivity trick that works! You’ll feel much more in control of your life, and will have the ability to savour those moments that ya' KNOW you don’t wanna miss. Try it out.
2. Take a walk if you’re feeling groggy. Exercise helps your brain cope with stress, and gets you outdoors. If you’ve got a case of the ol' brain fog, pop in some headphones and crank the tunes. Music stimulates the brain!
3. Yoga. As cliche as it sounds, study results show that students who practice yoga regularly perform better than those who don’t. Yoga reduces physical strain on muscles, spikes serotonin levels in the brain, and develops a certain type of 'awareness' within oneself. Here's a quick n’ easy, 10 minute yoga routine to try out: https://www.doyouyoga.com/a-10-minute-morning-yoga-sequence-for-beginners/
4. Take a hot shower, or run your hands under hot water for a minute. This is a quick way to increase blood flow, and lessen stress on muscles. Hot showers provide a great ‘calming’ effect on the body, so it’s worth trying.
5. Brain scattered? Write down everything that’s on your mind in a journal. This will help you organize your thoughts and clear the mind before cracking into that school work.
Remember that there are ALWAYS support groups that you can reach out to at Huron if you’re in need of help. The peeps in the student services office (http://www.huronuc.on.ca/CurrentStudents/AcademicAdvisorsandServices) are always willing to meet with ya’ to discuss whatever’s on your mind. Good luck to those midterms. KEEP SWIMMING!